John and Annie Henshaw took their first narrowboat holiday in 2002. Now, in Narrowboating for Novices they share all the knowledge they have acquired over the years – and which they wish they’d had when they were just beginning!
Aimed at both the complete newcomer and those with limited experience of narrowboating, this is a combination of guide book and instruction manual, which will help readers to:
- choose which canal to explore (they’re not all the same!)
- find the best maps and guides
- discover interesting places to visit near the canal
- pack everything that’s necessary for the trip (and leave out things that aren’t)
- become confident in steering the boat, turning it around & mooring it
- negotiate bends, bridges & tunnels
- work locks efficiently, confidently & safely
- and enjoy their holiday to the full
Thirty eight canals are described. As well as the description of the course of each canal, its locks and tunnels, and its ease or difficulty of navigation, there is a list of places of note that can be seen from the canal (such as lock keepers cottages and other waterside buildings, and unusual locks, bridges and aqueducts) and a list of interesting places to visit, which are local to the canal. Each place is described and addresses (both physical and of websites) are given. Over the whole canal network, more than 400 places are listed including 11 heritage railways, 27 nature reserves, 38 castles and other places of historic interest, 40 historic houses and buildings, and 12 zoos and wildlife centres, together with museums, art galleries, cathedrals, ancient churches, interesting towns and villages and much more.
Forty three sketch maps show the courses of all the canals, together with the locations of notable flights of locks, aqueducts, tunnels and local attractions.
The instruction-manual section, which is written in a clear, readable and often humorous way, includes anecdotes of the authors’ own experiences on the canals.
An interesting and invaluable guide for anyone considering a holiday on the UK canal network.